Due to its structure, the 2018 Mimi’s Mind starts off more focused than the other 2018 cuvées, with stunning lift. With a little air it reveals a complex of herbs, such as fresh thyme and oregano, and floral notes of rose petal and violet, rich mulberry, red cherry, raspberry, and overtones of aromatic spices such as cinnamon, vanilla and anise. The finish is enveloping and quite long. It becomes creamier and more harmonious with age in the bottle. This has been our most celebrated cuvée since our first release of the 2015 vintage.
Mimi Casteel’s vineyard is a role model for regenerative farming, a method she has developed as she takes a thoughtful consideration of the consequences of her vineyard practices on the environment around and beyond her. It’s an impressive take, combining biodynamic and organic farming principles with science. We are proud to have fruit from her vineyard, which always displays a deep complexity and layers of flavor. The 2018 Mimi's Mind is about 65% the PN667 clone (aromatics) with the remaining 35% sourced from the Oregon classic Pommard Clone (body).
Because of the quality of Mimi’s fruit, we have always allowed a greater proportion of whole cluster in this cuvée. This year again the wine is 50% whole cluster, fermented traditionally but handled with a light touch, with gentle pump overs. The rest of the fruit is sorted, then destemmed gently so that mainly whole berries go into the fermenters for a more precise flavor profile. After fermentation, it is aged in 26% new oak and the rest in neutral oak barriques.
Food Pairing Notes
The structure of Mimi’s Mind in its youth make it a prime candidate for pan-roasted duck breast, Lamb Provençale, filet mignon and hard cow’s milk cheeses like 18-month aged Gouda, Comté, Cantal, Parmesan, Abondance, Beaufort or other Alpine cheeses other than the Apenzell type. As this wine ages and reveals the deep fruit, spice and mineral qualities underlying its youthful fruit profile, it becomes more suited to roast chicken with morel mushrooms, braised rabbit with thyme or sous vide pork loin with thyme (I recommend setting your sous vide to 6 hours at 133 degrees Fahrenheit for the perfect tenderness).